Welcome to the latest issue of Foresttech.News.
In New Zealand, the news over the last month has been dominated by Cyclone Gabrielle and its aftermath. The cyclone cut off communities and caused widespread flooding and destruction to homes, businesses and infrastructure. As the clean-up continues, one key debate will be on how we, the forest industry and other land users, can better prepare for future extreme weather events.
In this edition of ForestTECH.News, we’ll be covering a range of interesting stories, including:
- ChatGPT could make these jobs obsolete. Last month we spoke about ChatGPT and some of what this new technology can do. We’re only scratching the surface.
- Early EOI to present at ForestTECH 2023. If interested in being part of this premier forest technology event being run in both NZ and Australia, we’d would like to hear from you.
- Harnessing laser technology to measure native forests. This FWPA-supported research project is another important step in improving the management and biodiversity of our forests.
- Study suggests that 23% of the U.S. forest inventory could be lost.
- NEON adds drone-based Leaf Sampling Protocol. The new tool will allow scientists to collect and analyze large amounts of plant data more efficiently and accurately, leading to a better understanding of ecosystem health and changes over time.
- Engineered magic: wooden seed carriers. The innovative design of a new wooden seed carrier could help transport seeds more efficiently and safely in reforestation and restoration efforts.
- Future proofing our forestry sector. Scion and RPBC see Genomic Selection technology as the key to improving the growth rate, wood quality and disease resistance of trees.
- Rotorua to host international remote sensing conference in 2024.
- Plantma planting trials and expansion ongoing. The Swedish-based start-up is developing a robotic planting system for large-scale forestry operations. Have a look at drone footage of the PlantMax X2 in action.
So, sit back, grab a cup of coffee, and join us as we delve into the latest news and developments in forestry.
Check out these stories, videos and much more below. Enjoy this month’s issue.
Stories this issue:
- ChatGPT could make these jobs obsolete
- Early EOI to present at ForestTECH 2023
- Harnessing laser technology to measure native forests
- 23% of the U.S. forest inventory could be lost
- NEON adds drone-based Leaf Sampling Protocol
- Engineered magic: wooden seed carriers
- Future proofing our forestry sector
- Rotorua to host international remote sensing conference
- Plantma planting trials and expansion ongoing
If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to this email newsletter.
Share this Post